I hate buying buttermilk. It's gross, always seems to expire super fast and I never finish an entire carton. A recipe calls for 1 cup of the stuff, yet every single market near my house only sells 1 quart cartons. I know I can make my own by mixing vinegar in milk, but it's just not the same.
For months I've been dying to make buttermilk waffles. I almost always make buckwheat berry waffles (Octavian's fav), but I had a sudden urge to mix things up and eat something a little less healthy. Buttermilk waffles were calling my name. I kept reaching for the buttermilk in the store and kept putting it back; I just could not waste anymore buttermilk. I assumed the waffle craving would subside, but the itch would not go away. Rushing through TJ's last week I caved and bought a carton. But, with one condition...
I had to use the entire 4 cup carton.
The next morning I cracked open the buttermilk and finally scratched the buttermilk waffle itch that would not go away. A couple days later, as I was searching through the fridge, there it was, the remaining buttermilk. Tick Tock,-Tick-Tock, I needed to use the rest of the stupid buttermilk. So onto Pinterest I went.
I came across this recipe and it's like it was meant to be. I had the zucchini, the cheese, chives and buttermilk! I followed pretty close to the original recipe with a few minor changes. You guys, this bread is amazing. And definitely worth buying the buttermilk. It reminds me of the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster, but better. Plus, you get a little extra veggies with your meal and who doesn't love that? It's a delicious, savory bread perfect alongside your favorite hot bowl of soup.
Chive, Cheddar and Zucchini Bread
Prep Time: 15 min / Cook Time: 1 hour / Total Time: 1 hour 15 min
Inspired by A Pretty Life
2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted but not scorching hot
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (get the aged, stinky stuff)
3 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Once mixed, add the butter the the buttermilk mixture. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture until just combined. Important: do not over mix!
- Mix in the shredded cheese, shredded zucchini and chopped chives.
- Spray a 9 x 5 bread loaf tin with non-stick cooking spray and bake for one hour, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.